photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Family jewels

I wear a lot of rings... at least 6 or sometimes 7 at a time. I double-up some of 'em on one finger, or sometimes save one as the headliner on one hand. My metal of choice is silver or white gold. I tend to wear a lot of black and I think it's easier to match silver with more looks.

I have to thank my grandmother who instilled in me a love for costume jewelry. She was always decked out in jewels regardless of the event. Sunday dinner, shopping at the mall, holidays - didn't matter where she was going, she was always dripping in gemstones and giant cocktail rings. To me, she looked like a queen - royalty. They shined, just like her personality. And I'm guessing as a child, that's what I took from her presence and kept in my memory: Jewelry made you look and feel like a queen.

Some of my favorite rings were bought on vacations, a way to remember the places I've been, things that I've seen. Some were gifts from family, some were just cool finds I came across. Much is spoken about a woman and her jewels... I guess when you look at mine, it says that I'm someone who can appreciate the inordinate, loves to celebrate times in her life by having a piece of memory to wear and has a flair for the kooky.

Old school nameplate ring, circa 1989, gift from my parents for graduating sixth grade; Baby Vamp Ring, circa 2010 @ www.bittersweetsny.com; Plain silver band, flea market find, circa 1991.

Love two-finger ring, bought in England, circa 2010, www.topshop.com; Antique gold and cubic zirconia ring, my mother's, circa 1984; Purple gemstone ring, circa 1997.
Plain silver band, flea market find, circa 1991; Stamped "Harley" ring, circa 2009, TinyTokensDesigns @ Etsy.com, http://www.etsy.com/listing/53099812/ringletsone-hand-stamped-sterling-silver; Mickey Mouse Ring, brought back from Disney by my parents, circa 2004; Black onyx ring, purchased during a trip to Cape May, circa 2007.

At back: Yellow topaz ring, bought in Montclair, NJ, circa 2004; Heart shaped ring, circa 2007 SproutOnline @ Etsy.com http://www.etsy.com/shop/sproutonline?ref=pr_shop; At front: Bow two-finger ring, circa 2010, www.urbanoutfitters.com.



Check out some of my favorite jewelry sites and designers:

http://wendybrandes.com/ - Jewelry that makes a punctual statement! Love her Emotion Heart Ring!




5 comments:

MalanB said...

I love the bow tie ring. Great POst!

Unknown said...

I'm a ring fanatic just like you! The rings are to die for!!!! I collect them and costume jewelry are my fav! I just began collecting clip-on earrings and lost a pair that brought tears to my eyes :(

WendyB said...

Thanks for the love!

House Of Jeffers said...

No problem, Wendy! Been a fan of your jewelry for some time!

Lacee Swan said...

love that bow ring!! so cute!