photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Putting On The Ritz

At a very young age, I learned that a little bit of extravagance never hurt anyone.

Outfit:
Abstract Print Blazer - Forever 21
Black Tee - Target
Cigarette Skinny Jeans - Urban Outfitters
Luscious 23 Heels - Lulus.com
Leather Satchel - Zara

This was an unspoken credo I picked up from my grandmother, who is the biggest influence on my take on personal style.

Regardless of how minimal or monumental the occasion, she ALWAYS wore jewelry. Big pearls the size of silver dollars for earrings; her hands stacked with emeralds and diamonds glistening off her fingers... chic overcoats in the winter that when removed, would reveal her stylish attire. And her favorite perfume (the name is no coincident to her jewelry collection): White Diamonds by Elizabeth Taylor.

 
Accessories:
Petite Hinged Pave Bow Bangle - Henri Bendel
Rivet Wrap Bracelet - Henri Bendel 
Chunky Heart Ring - Urban Outfitters


It was my complete awe of the beautiful things she wore that made allowed me to sit on her lap as a child and stare at her baubles. Her love of costume jewelry and beauteous gemstones absolutely rubbed off on me - as I started wearing rings on every finger as a teenager.

And presently, 19 years after her passing, I still can't leave the house without wearing jewelry... and a little sparkle... no matter how insignificant a walk in the park or lunch date may be.


Her extravagance was elegance... and that's the pinnacle of what personal style is all about to me today.

So, don't be afraid to be a little over the top sometimes. Because a little extravagance never hurt anybody.



No comments: