photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Day 3: 30-Day No Shopping Challenge - Getting Constructive

On my third day of not shopping, I'm unaffected by it. It's probably because I have things in my closet that are still unworn and new.

I find that sheer boredom is the No. 1 reason why I shop. Going to the mall or a shopping center keeps me busy, lets me stretch my legs and gets me in trouble. I always say I'm "just looking" when a store employees asks if they can help. I guess I'm actually saying I'm "just looking" for what I'll buy next.

If you find yourself on a self-imposed shopping ban, here's some tips on how to pass the time, constructively.

1. Organize your closet.

One can dream...
Spring cleaning is approaching, so why not have an O.C.D. moment and reorganize your wardrobe? While I wish my closet looked like the one above, I do color coordinate everything. It's like you hired Roy G. Biv to organize your wardrobe. 

2. Head to a swap meet and trade, or host your own!
If you can't spend, do the next best thing: swap with someone else! Bag up your duds and exchange items with friends. Check out The Swapaholics site - these ladies have put swapping on the map, and run a highly-successful business doing such!

3. DIY the s&% out of your non-desirables.

This adorable button artwork is super simple. Check out Mod Podge Rocks Blog for this DIY project.

It sounds a bit cheap, but if something is beyond wear, and I no longer want it, I selvage what I can from it. Buttons, laces, trim... anything I think I can use for crafting purposes. Turn your buttons into art, make friendship bracelets from trim... Recycle and get crafty!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great ideas. I always have some sort of crafty thing to do. I really do need to put myself on a shipping ban especially with the price of gas.