photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Sunday, August 3, 2014

It's Not Me, It's You: Style Trends I Might Be Too Old To Wear

I've come to the conclusion that I have a lot of clothing that I really don't like. I bought it at some point, thought I could wear it to "X" event or occasion, or perhaps I'd try something new, and now, I've got a lot of shit in my closet with tags on it that I've never worn.... and have no desire to whatsoever.

As I get older, I think I need to let go of some of my fashion shopping habits. This, is easier said than done.  So, you mean to tell me that I shouldn't wear neon at a certain age, or that I need use restraint when buying things that I'd typically jump at the chance to wear?

Am I too old to dress a certain way?




Gladiator Sandals


While I might love certain trends, they're not all for me, as much as I'd love to wear them. So, for now, the answer is a hesitant yes.

Case in point: Knee-high gladiator sandals.

I just purchased a pair after hunting them down for 5 months. All summer, I've perfected the art of double-tapping photos of girls wearing these chic stems. I've gone to numerous stores, tried on multiple pairs, and every time, my stick figure legs look uber small in them. My non-existent calves don't fill them out. Legit swimming in these shoes.

You would have thought I'd learn my lesson with my trial and epic failure escapades in finding the perfect tall gladiator sandal. But, after spotting a pair online for a bargain, and ones that had buckles on the calves making me think I'd be able to adjust them, I convinced myself they'd fit (knowing deep down, they probably won't).

Shocker: They don't fit.

After this delivery ruining my Friday night, I mulled it over. And I'm talking going through denial ("I can't believe I have to return these shoes."), anger, ("These don't fit, either!?") and disappointment ("It took me all f^%%$@*&* summer to find them, and now these don't fit?").

I was convinced I could make this work...

But then, I started thinking that perhaps I'm too old to wear this trend anyway. Maybe this trend wasn't meant for me? I still adore how they look on others, but maybe I should sit this one out? I don't have to take part in all the styles I admire. I'll find my own something special. Something a bit more age appropriate for me.

So, at this moment, I need to stop thinking with my, "I can't wait to wear this on my blog" mentality, and instead, go with buying things out of practicality with the goal of adapting to change as I get older. Oh, and shopping as an excuse to wear something on House Of Jeffers has been a HUGE dilemma of mine. The pressure I put on myself to challenge my style and show you my best me can sometimes be a pain in the ass. Trust me, I will never, EVER put up an outfit that I don't feel is a true representation of myself. But that doesn't meanthe pressure of fashion blogging hasn't gotten to me at times. I've compared myself to other bloggers (and their freedom to shop designer duds because of what appears to be their "non-existant budget") and cursed like a banshee while standing in my closet tortured over what to wear.  That's why I'm going to start thinking with my age, not with my credit card, when it comes to shopping. Mind over matter... because if I don't mind not buying that dress, it shouldn't matter.

No comments: