photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The 30-Day No Shopping Challenge (God help me)




I always joke that I have a shopping problem. I wouldn't say I spend a lot of money on each individual item, but I do buy multiple pieces at lower prices... which adds up.

On an average, I legit shop at least three times a week which includes during a trip the mall, followed by online shopping, or stopping by a store on the way to do something else. To resist and futile, and I always tell myself,
"I can't go shopping again. I just bought a dress at Urban Outfitters.... and I still didn't receive the order I'm waiting on.... But I did just get paid, and I've worked hard this week, so I'll go and reward myself."

And rewarding oneself is something I firmly believe in. If you work hard and aren't frivolous with your money, why not enjoy the fruits of your labor? Every paycheck. Wait a sec, isn't that called compulsive shopping? Sounds like oniomania to me.

My spending isn't out of control, but I'm starting to notice that what I spend weekly, and in cash, is resulting in more trips to the ATM. I'll buy lunch, put gas in my car... and then get sidetracked by hitting up a store during errands or a lunch break... and spend money I didn't intend to.

Plus, my husband has been giving me "The Look". You know what I'm talking about. It's when you leave your shopping bags out, and he comes home and sees em and asks, "Where'd this come from?" And he gives you this look of "I'm not mad, but I'm starting to notice a gaggle of shopping bags lined up - not to mention all the new s%$# you bought with tags on it hanging in your closet."

So, I'm invoking the No Shopping Challenge for 30 days. I think I can do it <insert fable attempt at lying here>.

Memories... Like the corners of my mind...


The rules for the challenge are as follows.

For the next 30 days, I shall not:
1. Purchase apparel, accessories or clothing of any type for myself. Gifts for family do not count.
2. Use credit cards.
3. Spend money unless it is an absolute necessity - fuel, food, transportation and personal toiletries.
4. Nag my husband into purchasing something for me to get a shopping fix.

Let's see how well this pans out. I'll be blogging throughout the next 30 days about my torture, I mean, progress, so be sure to check back! This should be interesting.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! It sounds like a tough challenge. Something that I should probably do but I'll let you be the ginuea pig first and see what the outcome is :)

Unknown said...

haha good luck!

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Unknown said...

OMG! I can't wait for the updates! As a fellow NJ blogger and fashion stylist, I'm always on the prowl for the next cool find and with a slight shopping addiction, I often get sucked into buying something that I shouldn't necessarily buy. I love that you totally justify why a purchase is ok lol caz I'm def guilty of it too!

Cheers & good luck!
S

Unknown said...

good luck, I know I couldn't do it :)

http://floral-etiquette.blogspot.com

houseofjeffers said...

Yeah... I'm excited and apprehensive about this whole experiment. Shopping is in my DNA so I'm predicting by week 2, I'll be standing outside of the mall with a box of tissues... Thanks for the support ladies!

- Jen
House Of Jeffers

Allie said...

Dear god, I don't know how you can do this! I would literally die. Thanks for commenting on my blog btw, I love your blog too!

http://www.thevanitylair.com/

Anonymous said...

Jen, could you be my sister from another mister? lol

I shop every single day. It's really out of control for me. I wish you much success because there's no way I would even attempt 15 days. Good idea though. I will have to follow ya now and keep you honest, huh? lol...consider it done! Good luck

Aw man, my tagline...can't use it (it's ....shop, shop, shop)....lol

http://ladyinlycra.com

Ria said...

Good Luck! I managed to get through Frugal February alright :) I'm sure you can do 30 Days! xoxo

MalanB said...

Good luck girl,You are better than me!

Unknown said...

thanks for your comment! good luck on your 30 day goals, you can do it!

Sarah said...

You are SO funny! I resonate with literally everything you described above. I'm a frequent shopper who gets great low prices for each individual piece, but even that adds up. I feel your pain, especially since it is so fun and gratifying to get a good deal. I wish you a lot of luck with your challenge! I'm curious to see how it goes!

Great blog, by the way! Please check out mine and follow if you'd like :)

www.SimpleStyleSecrets.com

Shasie said...

WOW!! Good Luck! Maybe I should follow your plan because I definitely spend a lot of time shopping! And I have stuff in my closet I haven't even worn yet!

I'm hosting a giveaway this week on my blog! Feel free to stop by and enter!
http://live-life-in-style.blogspot.com/2011/04/giveaway-flowers-from-fatima.html