New York Fashion Week kicks this week! For many, getting to attend the event is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that is full of action... and sore feet. I've been lucky to live in New Jersey, and have the convenience of hopping on a train to New York to spend some time at Lincoln Center to take in a show or just people watch - which is honestly, one of the best parts.
But, this year, I won't be attending since I haven't been feeling well. And I am all too familiar with the exhaustion and hecticness that NYFW brings. I'll have to sit this one out, and watch from the sidelines... which opens the door to developing a serious case of FOMO = Fear of missing out.
And perhaps you're starting to develop a case of feeling left out of the crowd because you can't be at New York Fashion Week. I know I have, since the number of #NYFW tweets on Twitter have started to fill my feed.
But fear not! You can still keep up with the action from afar.
Here's my suggestions on how to avoid FOMO during NYFW
1. Watch the live feeds - Check out the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week Website and stream shows anytime you want! Best seat in the house - guaranteed! They often re-run the shows in case you tune in a little late. A schedule of the NYFW shows is available now so you can reserve your spot on your computer!
2. For picture perfect galleries of runway shows, Style.com is my go-to. They always have amazing photos that bring you front row and center to the action.
3. Go shopping as if you were looking for the perfect NYFW outfit... then wear it to work or for a night out.
4. Get inspired by the street style! While the runway shows are a huge part of what makes fashion week exciting, the audience at Lincoln Center is just as enthralling. Keep watch of what attendees are wearing on sites like:
5. Sulk about it over a bunch of fashion magazines. Try not to get your tears all over the pages.
6. For up-to-the minute exclusives, and truly unique perspectives, the #NYFW and #MBFW hashtags are your friends. Whether you love Twitter or Instagram, there will be an overload of images to give you your NYFW fix.
7. Avoid it all together. While I want to be in-the-know, sometimes, it can be overwhelming to be bombarded by NYFW news on every single social media feed. For that reason, tuning out might elevate the pity party associated with not attending. But don't you dare feel bad that you can't attend because you work, or couldn't take time off, or couldn't afford to go - fashion week isn't going anywhere. You'll get your moment to attend in person!