photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Friday, April 26, 2013

Beyond The Blog



With the encouragement of one of my fellow blogging buddies, Kaitlyn of Naturally Chic Life, I've decided that I need to let you know more about me.

While I think I've done a good job of showing you my personality through style, I think I need to start getting a little more real with ya'll. For years, I've done my best to keep my personal life away from my blog since I don't consider myself to be a lifestyle blogger, and honestly, sometimes I don't have anything utterly prolific to share.  Plus, I love writing about fashion, it takes up 99 percent of what I do on House Of Jeffers, and I thoroughly enjoy the styling aspect of creating outfit posts. Why change it now?

But, there's so much more to what you see. 

Sometimes with blogging, it makes me feel rather one-dimensional. It's very easy to get caught up in outfit posts, and comparing yourself to others. One lesson I learned a long time ago was to stop judging yourself by what other bloggers are doing. Their achievements are theirs - not a measurement of your own success. Once I did this, it allowed me to really dive into my blog and not be afraid to express myself with fashion in ways I might have been scared to do before.

And while yes, I am a self-proclaimed shopaholic who finds joy in a trip to the mall or scoring a killer pair of stems on sale ... but let's go beyond the bangs. 

I absolutely believe there is a healthy narcissistic element to blogging. I've said this before, but the idea that people feel they look good enough to take photos and write about what they're wearing - kinda narcissistic in a way that us fashion bloggers relate to. To put yourself out there to be judged by others - huge cojones. So if that means the outfit I'm wearing makes me feel giddy, enough so that I barrage my husband with reminders that we "need to take outfit photos" today, than so be it.

But I want to start having a little more fun in different ways with this here blog, and share of my personal views on all kinds of stuff - road rage, bad fashion, how-tos, girl moments - and letting you get to know me as more than just a blogger. I've realized that I might not make it to be as big as some of the well-known bloggers out there ... That being a little different can be a disadvantage when it comes to fitting in with the "in" crowd. That I work full-time, and don't have the luxury of buying Chanel bags because my husband and I enjoy something called adulthood, and have bills to pay and priorities to keep, and that means I might not be cool enough in other's eyes. And that's 100% okay with me. 

Don't be like the rest of them, darling.

I don't want to be. And you shouldn't either.

Always strive to be an individual. Don't worry, you can catch up to the crowd later... if you want to.

So, as long as ya'll want to come along on this ride with me, I'll be here... and hopefully, so will you. 

No comments: