By no means do I think I'm the epitome of fashion authority - but I will say in New Jersey, I sometimes stick out. Perhaps I should've been raised in New York, where keen sense of style is lauded. New Jersey has been pigeonholed by Jersey Shore and the nickname "Dirty Jersey." And I'll admit - the stereotypes are true. Depending on the part of the state, you'll find girls looking like melted Twix bars, barring more makeup than Tammy Faye Baker and non-prescription sunglasses that, yes, they really do wear at night.
I live in the land where Sunday Best is considered pajama pants to the mall... Where there really isn't a fashion culture. Style takes on a different meaning in the Garden State... and that's cool because individuality is where it's at. But the NJ standard just isn't my bag.
But to some, it means I don't look like everyone else.
Sheer Leopard Print Top - Forever 21
Red Jeans - Forever 21
Boots - Lulus.com
Necklace - Send the Trend (via Blogger's Night Out)
Spiked Bracelet - Forever 21
Gold Bangle - J. Crew
Buckle Up Ring - Henri Bendel
Hence, a woman gave me the One-Up yesterday due to my read jeans. You know what I'm talkin' about: when someone looks at you, feet first to face.
It doesn't bother me. Red jeans are normal, right? Can't please em all. And don't really want to, either.
This is why blogging is a huge part of my life. The idea that you can have your own soapbox, where opinion is welcomed and you're free to show yourself in your true colors, no matter how bright it may be. Where you can find people from across the country who relate... who understand how much you love fashion and take a genuine interest in who you are. People who appreciate individuality.
That, to me, is where it's at. Blogger warm fuzzies, ya'll.
That's me (below). Thanks again, IFB!
Fresh New Start
Edited by: Collette Osuna of Statements in Fashion
Even though January is one brutal cold month in Michigan, it happens to be one of my favorites. It’s a brand New Year.....it’s the opportunity for each and every one of us to start with a fresh clean slate. What will you be taking on this year? A new hobby? Losing weight? Starting your own business? Bettering your blog? The ideas are only limited by your imagination, and I for one, cannot wait to begin this new adventure. This weeks links are chock full of awesome DIY ideas, product reviews, and ways to make yourself smile!
Have a fabulous month everyone!
Have a fabulous month everyone!
THE IFB WEEKLY ROUNDUP: LINKS À LA MODE: JANUARY 12TH
- Ethical Fashion Blog: What do you think about charity shop pricing?
- Fashion is Evolution: How to make a clothing-tag specimen board
- Fashion Moriarty: If you only buy 12 magazines this year
- House of Jeffers: Not fitting in because of the way you dress
- Letter Kay Blog: How to wear leather leggings
- Life of a Recessionista: Products I can’t live without
- Life Style Flash: Things I hate about shopping
- Marionberry Style: It isn’t easy being green
- Nadalyn Margaret: All about brooches
- Over 50 Feeling 40: Journalism 101 for Bloggers
- Pandippo: Sometimes a simple dress is all you need
- Paper Cloth: Things I learned from January J.Crew
- Pretty Quirky Pants: DIY Beaded stretch cuff bracelet
- Statements in Fashion: Twitter Tuesday: "Chuffed to Bits" for The Whitelist
- Style Delights: Ten tips to be happy!
- The Calvin Show: How to take great street style photos
- The Dapper Bun: DIY Simple hems
- The PVD Journal: How to take gratuitous photos of yourself
- The Shop Hopper: Shopping Manifesto
- The Window Shopper: DIY Getting your colors done
New Dresses at Shopbop: Just Cavalli, BB Dakota, T Bags LA, Nightcap, SoLow, Zac Posen, Malene Birger, Phillip Lim, See by Chloe, Nanette Lepore, Tucker, Cut25 & Parker
PLEASE READ IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE
If you would like to submit your link for next week’s Links à la Mode, please register first, then post your links HERE. The HTML code for this week will be found in the Links a la Mode group will be published later today. ~Jennine