photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Friday, June 17, 2011

DIY - Friendship Bracelets Are Back!

I'm always on the lookout for accessories that I can wear all the time - and by that I mean become my wardrobe staples, no matter what I'm wearing. I have rings that I don everyday (such as my wedding rings, a oxidized wave ring I wear on my thumb and a Baby Vamps fang ring I purchased from Bittersweets NYC), but I'm constantly seeking new pieces of jewelry to add to my daily collection. And as of late, I'm on a bracelet kick... mostly, braided and friendship ones.

While the traditional thread type are still popular, many are now made of leather, rhinestones or both, which appeals to an older audience. I'm loving these because they are super lightweight, don't break the bank and can be worn stacked!

 $7.80 Forever21.com

 $36.00 Jcrew.com

$10.00 Madwell.com


However, as much as I love that these bracelets are making a revival, I figured I can be a bit more thrifty and do them myself. No need to go overboard buying a plethora of bracelets that will probably end up sitting in a jewelry box... and then feel guilty for not wearing them. Besides, I'm more prone to wear something I made because effort was involved...

I used to make the old school friendship bracelet kind as a kid, so I headed to the craft store and bought a bunch of skeins for a little DIY project... Youtube has a gaggle of tutorials if you're feeling crafty. The videos I watched and used as a guide are here and here.



Bare in mind, I haven't made these in more than 15 years, so they may look a bit... homemade. The two on the far left were a la me. Thee braided purple one is my new fav, which I bought at Madewell during my trip to Philly. Can't wait to throw on some neon nail polish and rock some more!


2 comments:

fifi said...

love these bracelets!! i am actually going to pick up some thread today and hope I remember how to make these!! thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting! please come back and visit!! xo

Unknown said...

i love the pink one :)

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

35% off in my store with the code:iloveyou !!
my store