photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Make It A Very British Christmas

My love for UK culture isn't limited to just fashion. Oh yes, we have a very British Christmas in the Jeffery household. This is a result of being married to a Brit...


If you have an anglophile heart, or just think British accents are hot, then you too can bring a little of England into your flat, too. Here's how I do it:

ways to have a british christmas with christmas crackers | www.houseofjeffers.com


1. Christmas Crackers
I never heard of these until I celebrated my first UK Christmas in Poole in 2010. You can find them in the U.S. but as far as I'm concerned, the Brits came up with the idea. Christmas Crackers, aka bon-bons, look like giant candy rolls - and tiny goodness of all sorts inside. 

The idea:
Each person (2 people) holds an end, pulls, and the one with the larger end wins the prize inside. Among the prize is a tissue paper crown that reminds me of Where The Wild Things Are (random).

Christmas Crackers are everywhere; I found mine at Marshalls, but drug and party stores also sell them.
Or, make your own using a toilet paper roll, place confetti inside with a small trinket,
and wrap with wrapping paper. 


british desserts and recipes | www.houseofjeffers.com


2. Spotted Dick

Oh yeah, I'm going there.

If you haven't had spotted dick... Okay, I'm just going to stop with the dirty jokes as I can go on for days. 
But this one time, I did bring Spotted Dick to my Christmas gathering... and no, that isn't a joke.

Many think of SD as the cake in a can, but if you can't find it at the store, here's a recipe for it. "Spotted" refers to the dried fruit inside the cake, and no, do not compare it to fruitcake... because fruitcake is what you give people you hate.

It's best served with warm custard like Bird's, which I'd never heard of until my husband came home with a box of it. Break this dessert out and not only will your family think you have a dirty mouth, (terrible jokes included), but they'll ask you for it again next year. 


british christmas ornaments | www.houseofjeffers.com

3. British Themed Ornaments

Find UK-themed ornaments like a double-decker bus, tea pot or Union Jack flag and hang them on your tree. The ones above are from my tree... you might have seen them on Instagram.


This is really a no-brainer.
No British family gathering is complete without tea. English Breakfast or PG Tips is preferred. 

Serve tea in mis-matched tea cups and saucers for added charm. I collect tea pots, so I like to use a few to keep tea water warm should guests want a lovely cuppa. 


No comments: