photo aboutframe_zpsec607629.png                   photo contactframe_zps7210164c.png                 photo pressframe1_zpse96fd1d2.png                  photo blogrollbutton_zps07da44d3.png

Monday, April 9, 2012

Up Close in Philly with Van Gogh's Ear

Philadelphia is one of my favorite cities, and as close as I live to it, I don't visit as much I should. The arts, culture, history and overall atmosphere is something to experience. 

I'd heard about the Van Gogh Up Close exhibit at the Philadelphia Museum of Art, so my best friend, who happens to be an art teacher, and I decided to make a trip of it. 

Outfit:
Purple Leopard Print Sweater - Forever 21
I Heart 21Vibrant Skinny Fuschia Jeans - Forever 21
Pampa Wedge Booties - Mia Shoes
Leather Satchel - Zara
Jessica Jacket - RachelRoy.com
Pyramid Stud Stretch Bracelet - Forever 21
Nameplate Bracelet - Erica Weiner
Rhinestone Thread Bracelet - Laila Rowe (similar style)
Chandelier Crystal Necklace - Forever 21

Photos weren't allowed in the exhibit, but to see his paintings up close - some of which you can step right up to and really let your eye dissect - is amazing. For such a tortured soul, he created beauty, definitely an irony of his life. Oh, and his ear wasn't on display... would have been cool though. Just saying.

Of all the periods of art, I'd say modernist, impressionism and pop-art are my personal period favorites. I'd seen photos of Edgar Degas' Little Dancer, but luckily, the statue was on display. I stumbled upon oil paintings by Leon Frederic (second image below), entitled "Four Seasons", which depicts children painted in themes of the four seasons. My photo doesn't do it justice, but the detailing is ridiculously beautiful.

One of four pictures in Leon Frederic's "Four Seasons".
Creep eye jewelry. 

After the exhibit, we grabbed lunch, soaking up Rittenhouse Square and the plethora of shops along Walnut Street, and later hit up some bars at the Piazza and along Market Street. I'd love to live there... in fact, I think I like it better than New York. New York is great, but Philly's speed is more my pace. Looks like I'll have to make more day trips... 




1 comment:

The Millers said...

Isn't Philadelphia dreamy? There is something about it that I absolutely love. Looks like a fun little trip for you and your friend. Thanks for sharing! Love the outfit. Xo